In a world where we are often distracted, yet always connected, there is emerging interest in what mindfulness or ‘being in the present moment’ can do to enrich our lives.
This includes being mindful when you are eating. If we eat while we are busy such as when driving, on a digital device or computer, or on your feet while multi-tasking, this doesn’t allow us to truly appreciate the food and the pleasure that it provides.
Let’s look at some ways to make the most out of enjoying your next meal. Where practical:
- Grab a seat… to eat and acknowledge it is time to enjoy your meal or snack.
- Slow down the pace…. of your chewing. Eating fast is a habit, but have a go at chewing your food more – your gut will thank you for it.
- Tune in… to how satisfied you are feeling about the food you are eating, and combined with above, this will help you recognise when you’ve had enough to eat.
- Distance yourself… from as many distractions as possible: your desk, your mobile device, the TV.
- Feel grateful… for the food you have, and how it got to your plate.
- Enjoy with others… is a social way to appreciate your meal, and helps you disconnect from technology.
Check out these hands-on recipes to share with friends and family: