The perfect recipe for achieving tender, delicious oxtail.
- 2kg meaty Quality Mark oxtail, cut into joints and trimmed
- ½ cup seasoned flour
- 2-3 Tbsp oil or clarified butter
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 3 cups tomato juice (or 1 cup red wine, 2 cups tomato juice)
- 2 bay leaves, crushed
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme or ½ tsp dried
- 1 tsp celery salt or celery seed
- ½ cup beef stock, red wine or water
Dust the oxtail with the seasoned flour. Heat the oil or butter in a flameproof casserole or frying pan. Brown the oxtail a few pieces at a time, removing them as they brown. When all are nicely browned, return them to the casserole or transfer to one.
Add the onions, carrots, garlic, tomato juice (or wine and juice), herbs, celery salt or seed and beef stock, wine or water. Stir and cover. Bake at 150-160°C for about 3 hours. Lift out the meat with a slotted spoon, blot the surface fat off the liquid with paper towels then return the meat to the sauce and reheat gently. Season with salt and pepper. If you wish to thicken the sauce, mix a little flour to a smooth paste with cold water, stir into the juices and simmer for 5 minutes or more.
Serve with creamy mashed potatoes.